- 1 Why Kombucha doesn't pop up after separation
- 2 List of reasons why Kombucha does not rise
- 3 Reasons why kombucha stands upright in a jar
- 4 What to do if kombucha does not float for a long time
- 5 How to care for kombucha to keep it from sinking
- 6 Conclusion
In America, kombucha, or jellyfish, is hugely popular, and a drink called kombuchei tastes like kvass and is sold in every supermarket. Russians and residents of the near abroad prefer not to pay money for something that is easy to cook on their own. But the strange gelatinous mass, which gives a tasty healthy drink, requires care and sometimes behaves incomprehensibly. Why the kombucha drowned, whether something needs to be done, and in general, is it normal or not, it's easy to figure out.
Why Kombucha doesn't pop up after separation
It is normal for the kombucha to sink to the bottom of the jar after dividing. This is a living organism, when one or more plates are torn off, it gets injured and must recover.
How long it takes for a kombucha to rise to the top depends on several factors. The main body of the medusomycete, after successful division, when it enters the usual nutrient medium from water, tea leaves and sugar, may not drown at all. It is considered normal if it lies on the bottom of the can for up to three hours.
Kombucha does not float for a long time after separation, if two or more plates were taken, or the operation was performed inaccurately. This is a significant injury and can remain at the bottom for up to three days. Medusomycete is sick, there is nothing good in this, but it's too early to sound the alarm.
A young thin plate and should not float immediately. It will start to work when it gets stronger, in the lower part there will be shoots that process the nutrient solution into kombucha. Before that, the kombucha lies at the bottom of the jar. For successful adaptation, the amount of fluid should be kept to a minimum.
The time when you should pay attention to the symbiont of yeast fungus and acetic acid bacteria, which does not want to float from the bottom of the jar, directly depends on the method of division and the thickness of the body of the medusomycete:
- The old, having 5-6 plates of kombucha, after a carefully performed operation, should rise immediately. If it does not pop up, the alarm should be sounded after 2-3 hours.
- When the owners know that negligence was made when dividing the plates, for example, a hand trembled, parts were torn by force, a knife was used, it will take more time to adapt. You may have to wait 3 days.
- Young kombucha can lie at the bottom of the jar from 3 days to 2 weeks. The nutrient solution should barely cover the body of the jellyfish.
List of reasons why Kombucha does not rise
Kombucha sinking and sinking to the bottom of the can during kombucha preparation should not be alarming in itself. It's another matter if it doesn't pop up for a long time. A mature jellyfish, consisting of several plates, should rise in 2-3 hours. Subject to all the rules, using high-quality tea leaves and water, it may not sink at all.
They are doing something wrong, which is why the jellyfish gets a shock, is forced to spend time on adaptation.
Violation of the indoor climate
Kombucha should not stand in the sun. But it is also impossible to deny access to light. If you put a jar of jellyfish in a dark place, it will first sink to the bottom, since the yeast bacteria will stop working, then it will get sick and die. This will not happen immediately, there will be enough time to correct the situation.
The optimum temperature for keeping the medusomycete is 23-25 ° C, already at 17 ° C the gelatinous substance can die. If it gets cold, it will definitely sink to the bottom of the can.
Violation of the rules of care
Kombucha does not float in the jar because it is sick. Sometimes everything goes away on its own after a few days of adaptation, but this delays the preparation time of kombucha. The body of the symbiont is lifted up by bubbles of carbon dioxide released by yeast during fermentation. Medusomycete does not work while lying on the bottom.
He can get stressed for the following reasons:
- If it was washed with water not boiled, but from the tap, what to do, in principle, is possible, but not recommended due to the high content of chlorine, lime and other impurities. It takes time for the medusomycete to recover from the shock of contact with these substances.
- During hygiene procedures, a cold or too warm liquid was used. Short-term exposure to unsuitable temperatures will not have time to cause serious problems, but will "incapacitate" the jellyfish for several days. You need to use water at room temperature.
- The infusion did not merge for too long. All the sugar has been processed, the kombucha has turned into vinegar. First, the medusomycete will sink, then the upper plate will be covered with dark spots, holes will appear, the process will move to the lower layers. The mushroom will die.
- If you prepare a drink in dirty dishes, nothing good will come of it. The jar needs to be washed regularly, scalded with boiling water. Whether the kombucha dies, simply drowns and does not work, or the drink turns out to be of poor quality, depends on the degree of pollution and the chemical composition of the substances that have fallen on the body of the jellyfish.
Violation of cooking rules
Kombucha does not rise if violations are committed during the preparation of the drink. The most common:
- too little or too much sugar, it should be from 80 to 150 g per liter of liquid;
- the use of low-quality welding;
- water should be clean, boiled, filtered or spring water, tap water is poorly suited, as it contains unwanted impurities that make the kombucha drown for several hours or days;
- it is impossible to pour sugar on the body of the jellyfish or the bottom of the jar undissolved;
- the temperature of the liquid should be at room temperature, from a cold kombucha will definitely drown, and a hot one will kill it.
Reasons why kombucha stands upright in a jar
Sometimes the medusomycete stands on the edge. There may be several reasons:
- The container is too small. If a substance was grown in a three-liter jar, and then put it in a liter, it simply would not be able to straighten out there and would take an upright position.
- The same will happen if they try to keep the young plate in a container narrower than the one in which the old mushroom was floating. The diameter of the medusomycete will remain the same; due to the tightness, it will turn on its side.
- A young single plate will take an unnatural position if there is too much liquid in the jar.
- An adult jellyfish must float to the surface. If you fill the jar more than 2/3, the mushroom will rise to the neck, will not be able to straighten out, and will turn over on its side.
What to do if kombucha does not float for a long time
What to do if the kombucha has gone down and is not going to pop up after correcting errors depends on how long it has been in this state. Usually he needs help.
In a young medusomycete, first of all, the volume of fluid is reduced. If sugar has been added less than 150 g per liter, add syrup.
Check the conditions of keeping an adult kombucha. When the temperature and lighting meet the body's requirements:
- Take out and wash the kombucha with boiled water at room temperature.
- Examine carefully. If the outer part is darkened, remove it. If the jellyfish is too thick, 1-2 upper plates are removed.
- They wash the container, return the mushroom there. Pour in a liter of nutrient solution sweetened with the maximum amount of sugar (150 g).
- They are placed in a dimly lit place with a temperature of about 25 ° C.
If the medusomycete still does not float, some of the liquid is drained. Even after illness, the mushroom should rise in a maximum of 1-2 weeks. Then it is placed in the usual volume of nutrient solution.
How to care for kombucha to keep it from sinking
In order not to look for the reasons why the kombucha drowned, you need to properly care for it. Firstly:
- dissolve sugar completely before adding to the jar;
- for leaving and brewing, use clean boiled water at room temperature;
- drain the finished drink on time;
- maintain the temperature in the region of 23-25 ° С;
- fill the jar with a nutrient solution no more than 2/3;
- provide a bright, but protected from direct rays position;
- rinse the jellyfish and the container for preparing the drink in time;
- use high-quality tea leaves;
- do not pour a large volume of liquid on young, recently separated plates at once.
If a kombucha drowned, before sounding the alarm, you need to understand the reasons. Sometimes it does not immediately pop up due to the fact that the jellyfish is too thin, or there are unwanted impurities in the water. Even when a fungus is sick, it can be cured if the conditions are optimal.
Thank you very much for the clarification, I had a too cold fill, I added a warm one - it doesn't sink anymore
Thank you so much. Just a huge one. I got a mushroom, but I don’t know how to take care of it. Your information is very useful. Otherwise I almost panicked. I almost killed the baby. But now everything fell into place. Thanks again. .Do not be ill.